Just popping on to wish all of you a Happy New Year. Our family wishes you all things bright and beautiful in 2016. Here we are on Christmas Eve at one of the cleanest and best lit rest stops we’ve ever experienced on a road trip (Post Oak Rest Area on Interstate 57 in Salem, IL in case you’re wondering–and those are my antlers 😉 ). We look forward to sharing our year with you! ❤ (from left to right) BigGuy, Mama, Girly & Papa/Husbeau
Things that happened today:
- The skylight installer arrived around 8am to install what we hope will be the cure to my Seasonal Affect Disorder (which we have known about forever, but didn’t realize this master bedroom was the cave it turned out to be). We have tried the special lights and the extra Vitamin D dosing, but my body needs the real deal. But this also meant I had to get OUT of bed before I was ready.
- The boy slept “late”. Yesterday, Husbeau woke the boy and that process woke up everyone else. I noted to the man that 1) we homeschool so that our kids don’t have to be woken up regularly; 2) that waking the boy from a sleep has NEVER. EVER. gone well; and 3) that the boy has shown multiple signs of fighting off an illness. I then suggested that he not wake the boy again.
- Girly watched a lot of Carmen Sandiego.
- BigGuy got all of his assigned work done except for reading “Science in Ancient Egypt“–a library book that disappeared the second we found the previously missing ($30 to replace) book “The Ancient Egyptians“. Seriously, people… we FUND a library employee.
- We went to a friend’s house to play chess and that went quick so the bunch of us walked to a nearby park.
- On the way home from that adventure, we stopped at ANOTHER friend’s house where the mommies did a peer accountability session and the kids played. And by “played” I mean that we HEARD Britney Spears singing “Toxic” from the back patio, but we didn’t realize they were watching the video. When all was set right in the world and they were left only with music, I saw all three small girls jiggle in ways I didn’t know they had ever SEEN before. Girly has gone on to fake-sing the refrain over and over and over and over and over and over and over. And explain how 1) she knew it was just pretend; and 2) she wore poisonous lipstick… multiple times to multiple people.
- We said goodbye to our beloved babysitter, who is off to Sicily. Wow are we going to miss him. He was such a good friend, not just someone who watched our kids. We love that guy and hope he is safe in his travels.
Things that completely sucked today:
- Saying goodbye to someone we love.
- Not being able to sleep in our bed tonight because the very last tiny bit of sanding and painting couldn’t be done on the skylight in the master bedroom today (the joint compound wouldn’t dry fast enough)
- BigGuy ate an apple, which means he will wet the bed tonight and I will have sheets to wash tomorrow.
Things that need to happen:
- I seriously need to get to Socratic discussions with BigGuy. Especially now that he’s been asked to leave the Young Philosopher’s group (which is content for an entirely other post that I wrote, but then had more stuff happen related to it and need to rework that post).
- We need to prepare this house for the winter. Get the fireplaces operable and a generator for the freezers and I think we should get a snowblower, but who am I, really?
- Get that which is still packed UNpacked and organized. E-f#%!ing-nough already. We moved in MAY, people. There is no longer the excuse that this house is temporary or that this house isn’t ours and therefore we don’t want to put systems into place that may not work wherever we land. We have landed. (notice I’m banking on that skylight doing the trick).
- We all need to get on our game with our supplements and eating habits. I’m the fattest I have ever been and I understand that my trauma therapy for the last year has contributed to that, but dude… let’s go.
I think that’s all the news that’s fit to print over here. It’s been a day.
And so it went… how does one actually do any formal learning when Papa is freely available? Ummm… they don’t. Srsly.
Papa was off last week and is off this week coming up. The whole period of time has a long weekend in Minnesota to break it up, and as I type, we are still not unloaded from the trip home. We got back with barely enough time to grab some dinner from Chipotle, then I ran to take BigGuy to choir while Papa took Girly to go get the dog from the kennel before her soccer practice.
Yeah. We’re home. And the school year has started.
I’m not really sure how much we’ll “do” this week with Papa around. But I’m thinking it’s going to be close to nothing. Last week, BigGuy did some math and foreign language and maybe a few other things, but not much.
Our annual trip to Minnesota also came with it’s share of challenges as the kids grow and enter new and unchartered territory. I’m wiped. And I’m bummed that I have books to return to the library before I’m done with them thanks to my floundering for the month of August; but c’est la vie, oui?